The VIC-3D High-Speed System
Non-Contact Full-Field Dynamic Strain Measurement System
Up to 500,000 frames per second.
The VIC-3D HS™ system is a high-speed measurement system for full-field shape, displacements, velocities, strains, and much more. Systems with frame rates from 1,000 to 500,000 Hz are available, and configurations are customized to your applications and budget. See the VIC-3D Ultra High-Speed system page for frame rates up to 5MHz. Our systems are streamlined and integrated with supported high-speed cameras with acquisition software VIC-Snap HS, which allows the user to acquire calibration and test images with ease. Synchronized images are seamlessly acquired and saved in the correct format for fast data analysis in VIC-3D. Furthermore, VIC-Snap HS enables external analog data to be recorded via an included data acquisition system synchronizing load or displacement data frame-by-frame.
The VIC-3D HS™ system includes all the benefits of the standard VIC-3D system in addition to fully-integrated high-speed cameras. Shape, movement, and strain are tracked and computed for every data point (pixel subset) within the field of view. Since this data is calculated in three dimensions, out-of-plane displacements are measured directly, essentially eliminating bias. All calculations are done quickly and automatically with the included VIC software suite.
High-Speed cameras are very useful for the qualitative assessment of high speed events; however, it can be very tedious to obtain quantitative data from images without good software. Motion tracking software helps with this problem, but can only track movement at defined points, and is generally less accurate. Since the VIC-3D HS system analyzes a speckle pattern which is applied to the surface of the specimen, full-field data is captured and local strains area easily identified and measured. VIC-3D also includes FREE integrated marker tracking capabilities, as an added benefit. This can be useful if displacements are only needed at select points, such as the head or limbs on a crash test dummy. Common dynamic applications for this powerful system included (but not limited to) crash testing, air bag deployment, vibration analysis, bird strike tests, ballistic events, explosive events, drop tests, Kolsky bar test, fracture mechanics, and much more.
Below are the general features of the VIC-3D HS system; however, system configurations do vary. Please call us to discuss your applications as it is our goal to provide you with accurate information about every system that is right fit for you.
- Full-field measurements of 3D coordinates, displacements, velocities, and complete strain tensors
- Frame rates up to 500,000 fps, resolutions up to 4.0 MP
- In-plane measurement resolution: up to 0.01 pixels
- Out-of-plane measurement resolution: up to 0.02 pixels
- Strain resolution up to 0.01% local, 0.005% global
- Strain ranges from 0.01% to over 2,000%
- Automatic calibration
- High-speed cameras can be easily controlled using our proprietary Vic-Snap HS image acquisition software
- Powerful tools for visualizing data
- Contour displays which can be overlaid onto images of the test specimen
- Data extraction from 3D plots based on user defined lines, circles or points
- Post-processing tools for statistical analysis, stress-strain curves, and more
- One year of technical support and software upgrades.
- Live technical support is available Mon-Fri 9am-5pm EST.
- On-site support and consulting is also available.
- Standard two year replacement warranty for defects in materials and/or workmanship on all parts.
Below are the specifications for common VIC-3D HS system configurations:
|System Type||VIC-3D HS-T1*||VIC-3D HS-T2*|
|Max Camera Resolution||1MP to 4MP||1MP|
|Frame Rate||2,000 to 200,000 fps||10,000 to 500,000 fps|
|Memory||Up to 128GB internal||Up to 128GB internal|
|Number of Frames||Dependent on memory & frame rate||Dependent on memory & frame rate|
|Analog Data Recording||+/- 10V, up to 8 input channels||+/- 10V, up to 8 input channels|
|In-Plane Displacement Resolution||0.00001 * FOV or better||0.00001 * FOV or better|
|Out-of-Plane Displacement Resolution||0.00002 * FOV||0.00002 * FOV|
|Strain Resolution||50µε or better||50µε or better|
|Strain Range||from 0.005% to >2,000%||from 0.005% to >2,000%|
|Minimum Measurement Area||12mm||12mm|
* Specifications may vary depending on camera selection.
View the industrial HS example on our Applications Page.
Download the VIC-3D HS flyer.